Monday, April 19, 2010

Glass Half empty/Half Full

Some people give me this cliche that I should see life in a positive outlook. Always look at the brighter side of any happening and learn from it. See the glass half full instead of half empty.

Here's my question to them: have you gone beyond and thought what is in the glass? What is it's content? Lets take for eg. that the glass is filled with muddy water. And you are looking at it with all the positivity in the world. Wouldn't you be glad that the glass is half-empty? So is that positive or are you still thinking negatively?
Another way to look at it is defining "empty." Maybe the emptiness is what you are seeking. In that case the glass half-full with water is a negative thing. Is'nt it?

Think about it.

Here, the point I am trying to drive home is that "outlook" is a very relative thing. I can't meet a person for few weeks and be judgmental that he/she has a positive/negative outlook of life. Because I have not been privy to what that person has been through in his/her own life.
Can I go to a war-stricken refugees and tell them to be positive about life? To look at the rising sun and be inspired? Maybe some will and some wont. It doesn't mean that the other people have negative approach. Its just where they are that defines what they think.

So my humble request to all those hopeful optimists out there is to give our thoughts- the pessimist's - a fair chance . Who knows, for a given situation they may be better than yours.



No comments: