Thursday, August 10, 2006

Passion and Professionalism-I

I was once asked in an interview, what is the difference between a job and career? I replied, that what you want do passionately, becomes your career and that what you do professionally becomes your job. A job happens only in the office, while work happens anywhere. But there is thin line between working passionately and professionally.
Most of the managers/leaders will exploit you by mixing and matching either one of them. Its not necssary to have passion in the work you do. But its effective. Then the time line starts to recede and there is no difference between your work-place, your work-station and your home. These people more often are termed as workaholics. Money can be one factor, but more often than not, its not the catalyst for a person to incite that passion. Everyone has his/her own reasons, some might be emotionally connected, some might like the kind of work, some are built that way. There are multiple reasons for a person to be a workaholic. I once asked a friend, who is a passionate worker, why doesnt he lets his hair down? Probably frequent a pub or something. He answered; "I dont need a pub for kicks. I get it in my office. My office his my pub. My cubicle my dance floor. My workstation my music. My work my date." I didnt know what to say. Its his perspective.
But what happens when you loose passion admist the work that you are doing? Now the reasons for the same are also difference why that would happen. But are they justifiable? How can you be passionate of something that ran in you sweat and blood, and at times in your soul, and then one fine day loose interest? But it happens.
I always say truth is more stranger than fiction. Lets continue this further for tomorrow.

No comments: